In the advent of powerful off the shelf platforms such as WordPress, Shopify or Magento, the cost of buying a website for many business has been considerably reduced.
What is this?
In the advent of powerful off the shelf platforms such as WordPress, Shopify or Magento, the cost of buying a website for many businesses has been considerably reduced. This is great news. Never missing an opportunity designers and coders of all abilities have started designing templates to accommodate most types of businesses on these platforms.
Well that’s great isn’t it?
These themes look beautiful as the designer has perceived them but they don’t always look so good once your business has been shoehorned into it. Nor do you ever quite know what is under the lid; leading in some cases to problems with updating platform software or browser compatibility.
What does it mean for me?
Understanding your requirements and constraints and offering you the best solution or sharing with you the options is core to how we work. There is no doubt that done properly themes can save you time and money. So we have hand-picked a selection of themes and use them as building blocks to create a website that will fit you but is guaranteed by us.
Here is a quick check list to give you an idea of whether a pre-built or custom theme would work best for you.
A pre-designed theme is great if:
- You are looking for a simple brochure style website for a small business
- You have a limited budget for your requirements
- One of our pre-designed themes looks right for you
- You feel that you will not need to grow the functionality in the future
- Preciseness of design is not an issue
- You would rather spend your budget on copywriting, imagery or marketing
- You are in a massive hurry
A pre-designed theme is not so great if:
- your business does not fit the mould
- you need extensive or custom features
- you sit in a crowded market place
- reflecting your brand is a high priority
- you are looking to grow and want to ‘future proof’
- you need flexibility of design and layout
- looking ‘samey’ is an issue